CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tackle It Tuesday - Cub Scout Craft

If you have read a few of my posts, you know by now that we are heavily involved in Scouting. Well, if we haven't bitten off enough for the pack in the past, we certainly have this week. This weekend Cub Scout Pack 220 will be hosting a 'Back to the Pack' camp out. And, guess who is planning the whole weekend? Yeah, you got it. My husband and I. Crazy, I know.

For my part, I am working on a couple of crafts for the kids make while they are camping.

Since all Cub Scout packs are not-for-profit, and generally have a limited budget, most activities need to be done without spending too much money. Another consideration I had for this particular project is that the kids will need to make this outside. I didn't want to choose materials that could be damaged outside or that would 'leave a trace.' We are always reminding the boys to 'Leave No Trace,' leave the world the same or better than you found it.

So, the project that I came up with is an original mosaic picture made with simple, everyday objects.






My supplies for the project are; cardstock sheets in various colors - cut in half, wooden craft sticks, glue, and a variety of dry beans and different types of dry pasta.




Here are the samples that I came up with. I used a half sheet of cardstock and glued crafts sticks along the outside edges to make a frame. Next I drew my basic design on the cardstock with glue. On top of the glue I placed pieces of dry pasta and beans to make my picture come to life. While I was creating these two pictures I realized that it would be nice to have a few more colors to work with. I will be going back to Target to get some split peas, for a little green, and a couple more types of pasta to make the pictures a bit more interesting.
I think the kids will have fun with it. I will post a few pictures of their creations as soon as I have some!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You are just so crafty!! We are going to be sorry we missed it!! Have a good weekend though. Don't have TOO much fun without us!! You do know this weekend is supposed to be the coldest this season?!! :o( BRRR!

Anonymous said...

you make me so proud!! I love you!!