CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

That's What Happens When You Are Over 40!

Yesterday, I had one of those wonderfully humbling experiences that you get to have when you are over 40. Uggghhhh, did I actually just admit that I am over 40?

For the last year or so I have been noticing that I am having a hard time reading small print, especially at night or in low lighting. I have been trying to ignore it, but finally it got the best of me and I decided it was time to make an appointment with an Eye Doctor. I know, I know, lots of people have done this before, and many of them were well UNDER 40. But, for me this is a new experience. I don't think I have ever had a real eye exam. I know I have never had my pupils dilated before (wow, was that an experience!).

So yesterday, I went. From the minute I sat down in the exam chair and started explaining what I have been noticing with my eyes, the theme of the day became, "that's what happens when you are in your 40's." The doctors assistant said it to me as soon as she did a couple of simple vision tests. Luckily, she was older than me, and has been wearing glasses for a long time. Then the doctor came in to do more tests and a more complete eye exam, which included dilating my pupils. And again I heard, "well, this is very normal when you turn 40, and it only gets worse the older you get." Great! Now, I have not only been reminded that I am over 40, but also that things will only continue to fall apart!

The really funny part of the whole exam is having your pupils dilated. You go into the doctor's office because you are having trouble with your eyes and they do something to you that temporarily makes your vision worse! I know, this is done so that they can check your eyes for glaucoma, cataracts, etc. But, I just found it very funny that when I walked in I could read a magazine and when I walked out I could not read the prescription that he gave me for my new glasses! Luckily the affects wore off in a few hours, but I got a lot of laughs out of it during those three hours.

So, yes, I will be wearing glasses soon. Yet another reminder of "That's What Happens When You Are Over 40!" =-)

1 comment:

Melody said...

Glasses happen to the best of us my dear, to some more harshly than others - all you people who can actually read the road signs really get my goat :-)