CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 1, 2008

24 Days til Christmas



Tonight, in honor of the Christmas season, CJ gave us all a lesson in kindness. While we were at our Cub Scout Den meeting, the group was working on putting together a "Santa's Workshop" themed skit to perform at our upcoming pack meeting. We asked the boys if any of them would like to play Santa. Two boys came forward. To help us decide which boy would get the job, we had them tell the group why they would make a good Santa. The first boy went, said his piece and that was that. Then it was the second boys turn. As my co-den leader was asking the boy why he would make a good Santa, CJ decided to blurt out an unkind comment referring to the boys weight. OMG! I was in shock. I immediately asked CJ to apologize to the boy, which he did, but the damage was done. The other boy got upset and needed to leave the room. Luckily another leader came in the room at the same time with some announcements for the group. I took that opportunity to pull CJ aside, we had a little talk and went out to find the other boy to apologize to him and talk about how wrong it was to say something like that. Needless to say, CJ and I had a long talk on the way home and a punishment was handed out.

When something like this happens I think all parents immediately think to themselves, "Where did they hear that?" Or "Why would they say something like that?" The answer to both questions is, they learn it from us. They learn it from t.v., from movies, but mainly they learn it from listening to all of the adults around them. Think about how many times each day we make disparaging comments about other people. We talk about our relatives, our friends, acquaintances, politicians, actors, sports stars, and the list goes on.

The lesson that I learned tonight is...Take the advice that I gave to my son. Think before you speak. Is what I am about to say going to hurt someone? Would I want someone to say that about me? Would I say what I am about to say to the other persons face? Am I being KIND?

It is the Christmas Season, a perfect time to work on being a KINDER person.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

OH my... I heard about that one! I guess it was your turn to be moritfied!! (england boy!) IT happens to the best of us. I think you handled it very well!

Kelly said...

Stop by my blog for some more bloggy love!!